November 16, 2000 12:23pm
Burned Stripper Wins $363,153 Award
SCRANTON, Pa. (AP) - A jury ordered a nightclub to pay $363,153 to a stripper who was badly burned while performing her fire-breathing routine.
The jury of eight men and four women ruled in Patricia Ryan's favor Wednesday in her lawsuit against Cabaret Nightclub over the 1994 accident that left her scarred.
Ryan accidentally dribbled a mixture of 151-proof rum and salt onto her chest and suffered second-degree burns. She alleged that the club's employees did not provide adequate safety equipment or come to her aid quickly enough.
Ryan, 36, is now enrolled at Harvard University and hopes to become a doctor, possibly specializing in the treatment of burns.
William Barrett, a lawyer for the club, said no decision has been made on whether to appeal.